Thursday, January 17, 2008

Dorothy Steidley - Artist

Dorothy with parents and little brother Jim


Dorothy Alta House was born in Wichita, Kansas, to Lydia and Emery House, on January 31, 1918. She joined a family that was composed of her parents and boys, boys and boys... Dorothy's older brothers were Paul, Loyd, Richard and Wilbur. A younger brother (Jim) completed the family. The kids enjoyed growing up in the Colorado Springs, Colorado area... hiking in the Garden of the Gods, finding arrow heads and collecting rocks.


car


Dorothy
Dorothy always viewed the world through the eyes of an artist. She was aware of the line, color, light, shape, texture and space of her world and was inspired to express this awareness in various mediums. She has always used her art to share with the world her thoughts and opinions.

Dorothy and Howard





In 1938, Dorothy married Howard Steidley. Daughters Carolyn and Alta completed the family. The Steidley family lived in Denver, Colorado, and Dorothy delighted in using her creative abilities in a wide selection of activities. Carolyn
Baby Alta
Dorothy and the girls



WatercolorWatercolor became Dorothy's medium of choice and she spent years (as an active member of the Colorado Watercolor Society) experimenting with her love of contemporary art. She painted in watercolor for many years, however, her love of clay became dominant. She truly loved the texture, color and smell of clay. As she put it, opening a kiln filled with finished pieces was like a Christmas morning... filled with surprises.

kiln


orbsHer fascination with learning about different glazes was enhanced by her understanding of chemistry and the challenges of construction were aided by her talent for engineering. She felt the clay truly spoke to and for her.




Dorothy was a founding member of the Colorado Potter's Guild and was a prolific potter throughout the years. She received numerous awards and accolades. As a part of this recognition, seven times her ceramic pieces were included in the Anniversary Collection of the Channel 6 Auction, she had her work displayed in New York City's Museum of Modern Art, and a chalice and paten created by her was commissioned for the Pope. She constructed and donated stained glass, pottery and cloth works of art to the Washington Park United Church of Christ.


Dorothy and Alta relax on beach
Now Dorothy resides on a wooded hillside west of Grand Junction, CO, and enjoys the beauty that surrounds her. Her most recent endeavors have focused upon creations using twisted sage, rabbit brush, stones, bones... "found objects"... to bring forth angels, fish, and sometimes just the spectacular element, standing alone within a shadow-box frame. She experiments with card-making, too. She just recently purchased a digital camera and is learning to record the beauty she sees.

At the age of 90, and having fought heart disease since her first heart attack 50 years ago and experiencing bi-pass surgery 30 years ago, she is very independent and active, and her appreciation for creative expression has never dimmed.

The title ARTIST describes Dorothy perfectly.

To see more examples of Dorothy's beautiful work, please visit her Flickr account here.

20 comments:

KinnicChick said...

Please feel free to leave comments for Dorothy here. I'm sure that she would love to hear from you. Hello Grandma! I hope you like the website! I think your art looks beautiful set against the black background!

It was really fun putting this together because I had never seen some of the pieces for which I was able to upload the photographs to Flickr. Thanks to Alta for all of her help.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dorothy, I stumbled on this & really enjoyed it. Sometimes I forget I have a celeb for an aunt. A really great "what ever it's called". page. Lots of love Ken

Anonymous said...

Aunt Dorothy, is is fun to see your story and some of the amazing art you've done online. I have watched you for excelling for years and it has been such an inspiration to me, especially after all the challenges you have been through in your life. Your talent, creativity, and perseverance have encouraged so many to try to do better at whatever their talent they are developing. We also have been encouraged to try new things! Love you lots! Natalie

Unknown said...

Hey, Dorothy! You really do beautiful work. How fascinating to have a love of glazes. I saw your new Website (isn't it cool to have a Website?) that Keri designed? She's a great girl and she is obvioucly VERY proud of you. Feel free to stop by my Website and say hello!!!

Michael Manning
www.michaelmanning.tv

You'll probably enjoy my WQebsite more than my BLOG. So, anyway. Have a nice evening!

Anonymous said...

Dear Dorothy,

Once again, as I often do, I've visited your art on line. How I cherish all the art that graces my home. You've brought joy to so many of us through your art (and your peronality).

Love, Marge

Anonymous said...

Hi Dotothy!
I enjoyed your amazing art. It is really inspiring and wonderful. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dorthy for sharing your story and art!

Anonymous said...

A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISH TO MOM FROM ALTA!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, and I hope they give you just one little candle to blow out! Whew! It sure would be impossible to blow out 90 candles! I, too enjoy your pieces of art that adorn my home; they enrich my daily life with their beauty!!! Thank you so much for your talented hands, mind, and spirit. Your pottery has dried flowers in one of them,holds spoons and spatulas in two more, a teapot and a gorgeous fruit bowl grace my counter, too. Thanks for be my alternative mommy when I was a toddler who I could go see when I was mad at my own mommy! I am told I said, "I go see Dorfy!" Much love, JoAnn Thomson Funk

Anonymous said...

Congrats! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Amazing where have the years gone, woosh! We the Steidley's and Thomson's go way back to the late 1940's. When I drink my tea from one your mugs you are there with me. I have been blessed to have you as a cherished friend. I evidently was too wordy in my first comment because it was deleted. Best Wishes to you on your 90th Hugs and Much Love, Shirley

Anonymous said...

***ALTA, WITH SOME INFORMATION***
THE FUNNY LETTERS YOU SEE BELOW THE COMMENT BOX ARE THERE SO THAT THIS SPACE WILL NOT BE FILLED UP WITH LOTS OF ADVERTISING SENT BY SOURCES WE DON'T KNOW...AND DON'T WANT TO KNOW.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO 'sign in' AT ALL & YOU CAN BE ANONYMOUS OR USE YOUR NAME AS A NICKNAME, BUT PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NAME so that Mom will know who you are. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DOROTHY! Guess I can be less formal than saying Mrs. Steidley now that I am much older. :-)
What a terrific website. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all of your artwork and family pictures. Tremendous talent that you have.
I especially want to thank you for Alta, who has been a lifelong friend. Those were great days years ago on South Milwaukee and South St. Paul! It is so nice to be able to continue the friendship into our "Golden" years.
Have a great 2008!
With love & best wishes,
Dona Newell Copeland

Anonymous said...

from Brenda Dockery, your old neighbor--would love to see you and help you celebrate this birthday--it's Hannah's also--she's 25. I still have your pottery with me, even what you would consider your "throw outs"--they're around me in different spots in my home and I am always reminded of you

Anonymous said...

Grandma,
As I've told you so many times, I've always appreciated your art. I look around at the pots and sculptures I have here and I enjoy them so much. I have, here, the pot I made with you when I was very young. I have a picture in my office from when I stayed up all night to help you fire the kiln long ago. I loved that experience of the magic of raw clay becoming art work. I remember when you showed my daughter how to work the wheel to throw a pot. Thank you for sharing your art with us and giving such great experiences and memories and lasting works of art. Love, Keith

Anonymous said...

Hey Grandma,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It was great seeing you a couple of weeks ago. We sure enjoy the dish you gave us. The colors work nicely in our apartment. I hope you have a fabulous birthday! It was also fun seeing some of the pictures from when you were growing up.
Love, Kevin

Anonymous said...

dorothy

wishing you a very happy birthday - I loved looking at the pictures and cannot get over how much alta looks like you.
My treasured memory is of you and I walking the beach looking for shells and of course gabbing!!!
Have a wonderful, happy, healthy year!!! lov, doris

Sad in Denver said...

Happy Birthday, Dorothy! What memories! From heart diet, park walks and rides, water aerobics, your great trips, "your" store, show off new outfits, Cathy's cancan dress no pattern, peaches, pickles, grapes, naming art,late night chats, July 4, block picnics, paint consults..always yellow, N.M.trip, stained glass, to front porch swing! Ahh! We are happy to celebrate your 90th! Love, Becky & Keith

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! What an accomplishment to celebrate 90 years. I am so glad to know you, Alta and Kevin. It has been a pleasure to read about your life. All the best on your special day.

Lots of love,
Roseanna (and Kevin)

Sparky said...

Happy Birthday, Dorothy! What a wonderful website with all your beautiful art work! Can you believe we're blogging at our ages!
Again, Happy Birthday, Dear Friend. God Bless You. Audrey in Arizona

Anonymous said...

Hey Grandma. Just thinking of you and was looking over your blog. What an amazing life.

Love, Kevin