Saturday, January 26, 2008

A SINGULAR CELEBRATION RECALLING THE NINETY YEARS OF DOROTHY ALTA HOUSE STEIDLEY

On January 31, 1918, a tiny baby girl entered this world. She found herself in a family with the last name of HOUSE. Hmm! A person who's a house!? She also found that she had landed smack in that land of another girl named Dorothy...but our Dorothy had no puppy named Toto!Dorothy and her brothers

As she peered around her she saw her parents...Lydia and Emery. Then, as she looked further, she saw one brother, then another, and another...and another!! Good grief!! What have I done?? Her brothers peered back at this strange creature...A GIRL!! Loyd, Paul, Richard and Wilbur soon found that she could be quite charming and funny. They all agreed that the family should keep her.

When Dorothy was 10 months old her adventurous family moved to Colorado. This is where Dorothy would spend most of her life. She gained another brother after the move to Colorado. Little brother Jim did not fulfill Dorothy's wish for a sister, but he was pretty funny to watch when he was little...and it gave Dorothy someone she could boss around.

Dorothy attended Whittier Elementary school on W. Kiowa, in Colorado Springs. Walking to school afforded her an opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the area and to think deep thoughts. Dorothy really liked to think quietly to herself. She was recognized for her outstanding artistic ability and liked the benefits of that. She always enjoyed expressing herself through art.

After graduating from high school, Dorothy's parents and brother, Jim, moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico. The move was necessary because her father was becoming more and more debilitated by his asthma and so the family sought a better climate for him.

HappinessWhile in New Mexico, Dorothy met a young man. He made her laugh! Dorothy was still the quiet thinker she had always been, so the ability that Howard Steidley had to draw her out, and involve her in fun, was most attractive. Of course, Howard wasn't so bad looking himself. They got married and soon welcomed their first child in 1940. Dorothy enjoyed her new daughter, Carolyn, and spent happy hours exploring Carolyn's new world with her.Howard


In 1944, Carolyn's baby sister, Alta, arrived. Now, Dorothy was really busy! Some of her favorite motherly activities involved sewing adorable clothing for her daughters, perming their hair with those new home permanents, taking them to feed the ducks, going on excursions to downtown Denver and choosing a special doll for each of them at Christmastime.

In time, Dorothy welcomed grandchildren David Zundel, and his sister and brother, Tami and Michael. Rounding out Dorothy's progeny are Scott (Nancy), Keith (Keri) and Kevin (Roseanna) Monk...and the offspring of Scott (Josh and David) and Keith (Keli.)

Dorothy's love of art drove her to study with well-known artists every chance she got. She pursued some of the popular arts and crafts of the day, but focused mainly upon Dorothy at the wheel at the Colorado Potters' Guildoil and watercolor painting. After both daughters had been recruited to haul large paintings around for a few years, Alta requested that Dorothy take up something lighter...like styrofoam sculpture. Dorothy honored her request by becoming a very productive potter! Dorothy's social life mostly centered upon like-minded artists, neighborhood friends and the members of her church. She was an early member of the Colorado Watercolor Society and the Colorado Potter's Guild.

Travel had always been a dream of Dorothy's and she basked in the experiences of visiting such far-flung places as Italy, England, Greece, Mexico, Japan...and more. She always wanted to experience varied art cultures, visit foreign artists and see their work. Her 80th birthday was celebrated with a Caribbean cruise.

To view a slideshow of Dorothy's artwork, you can click here. Or see more photos from her fascinating life in a slideshow click here.

After spending most of her life in Denver, Dorothy moved to Glade Park, Colorado. Drinking in the beauty of the area has fed the artist in Dorothy.

Since Dorothy was hospitalized with her first heart attack in 1955, and has experienced continuous limitation caused by her health condition, it is amazing that she has worked so diligently at her artwork. It is also amazing that she was able to fulfill her desire to travel and see her world.
Dorothy and John
Dorothy has enriched many people's lives through her expressive artwork and her generosity. IF YOU HAVE A FAVORITE MEMORY OF DOROTHY, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE IT. SHE HAS VERY LIMITED STRENGTH, BUT WOULD THOROUGHLY ENJOY READING ANY COMMENTS...

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

WELL...I LEFT A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISH ON THE ARTIST PART INSTEAD OF THE BIRTHDAY PART! DUH! SO HERE IS ANOTHER BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISH FOR YOU...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM ALTA :>)

Jen said...

Happy Birthday, Dorothy!

What an amazing life you have had! And ninety years-- what an accomplishment!

Have a wonderful birthday!

Keith and Keri's friend,

Jen

Miz S said...

Dear Dorothy, I am a friend of Keri's. I loved reading this mini-biography. You remind me of my husband's grandmother who lived to be 100 and who embraced life every single day that she lived. Many happy returns of the day to you.

Sincerely, Mary

C.S. BEZAS said...

You have blessed my life, "Aunt" Dorothy! Your gift with art inspired me at an early age and I will always remember visiting you in your home - with your amazing touches gracing its walls. May you have a very happy birthday, knowing that your life has blessed many others.

Warmly,

Cindy
(Natalie Oakes' daughter)

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Dorothy, You are an amazing lady. Through many health struggles you are likely to beat us all. Hope your birthday is full of laughs, flowers and many happy hours. Your art is amazing come see us if you get to the Denver area. Jewel & Dan

Anonymous said...

Dorothy, Happy 90th!!!!!!!! Every morning I look at your sculptural pot sitting on my dresser and am delighted

Tim Y.

Anonymous said...

Dorothy: It was wonderful seeing highlights of your life and your art. I love having some of your art on display in my home. And I love being able to say that I know the artist. Have a wonderful birthday. Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Dorothy, HAPPY 90th BIRTHDAY! YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE WOMAN AND SUPER AUNT! I LOVE ALL YOUR ART GIFTS TO US AND THE WORLD. My family and I have learned so much from your example. Thanks for being there all through my life and challenges. I wish you a big piece of cake, lots of hugs and love! Natalie

Kathy T. said...

Hi Dorothy,

What a treat to visit this site etched with memories of your life and reflections of your artwork over the years. Mom would have loved to see this...(-:
I too, as others, am fortunate to have some of your sculptures and your other artwork decorating the walls of my home.
Thank you Dorothy. Happy Birthday!!

Kathy Timmer

Anonymous said...

Dorothy, Happy Birthday! I think of you now every day and also of our wonderful times at the Guild. I hope you have a wonderful birthday celebration. Your friendship really means a lot to me. Love, Judy

Judy Nelson-Moore
Santa Fe, New Mexico
judy@nelsonmoore.com

Anonymous said...

Natalie Warner said,
Happy Birthday to you!
Many happy memories come to my mind. Always loved your clay work and your wonderful oil paintings. Have a great day!
Love, Natalie

Anonymous said...

Marta said,
Happy, Happy 90th Birthday, dear friend! WOW!
I think of you often! I cannot ennumerate all the things I learned working beside you at the Guild. My favorite memory: our wonderful trip to Santa Fe to vist Judy Nelson-Moore! I have such fun memories of those days! Thanks! Precious pieces you created sit in special spots in my home! They are my treasures! I hold you in my heart, now and forever!
Love, Marta Rodeheffer

hiwanclaygirl said...

Dorothy,
Happy 90th birthday! My timing was off, I entered the guild just before you moved to the western slope.You trusted me to load some of your incredible work in the electric kiln. I aspire to be the artist that you are. Hope to see you soon, Kathleen

Anonymous said...

***ALTA, WITH SOME INFORMATION***
THE FUNNY LETTERS YOU SEE BELOW THE COMMENT BOX ARE THERE SO THAT THIS SPACE WILL NOT BE FILLED UP WITH LOTS OF ADVERTISING SENT BY SOURCES WE DON'T KNOW...AND DON'T WANT TO KNOW.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO SIGN IN AT ALL...YOU CAN BE ANONYMOUS OR USE YOUR NAME AS A NICKNAME, BUT PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NAME so that Mom will know who you are. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Dear Dorothy,

HAPPPY BIRTHDAY! I still have some wonderful bowls that you made and always think of you when I see them or use them. Congratulations on your 90th. Take care,
Stephanie Anderson (Alta's friend from Milwaukee/St Paul)

Anonymous said...

Hi Steidley! Perhaps I am the only one to call you that but that is how I know you. You are a friend, a mentor, a volunteer grandmother for my son, and a fellow artist. I LOVED seeing so much of your work,it's wonderfu, and hearing of your many artistic accomplishments that you never seem to mention, modesty. I also loved the pictures of you as a child, young wife, mom and finally the Steidley I know with the short white hair and so much enthusiasm for LIFE. Congratulations on reaching 90.

Much love to you,

Sue Rooke

Anonymous said...

Grandma!
Happy Birthday to you!!!
This is just a quick birthday wish as I rush off to bed. I hope you have a nice day for your birthday with lots of sun and feeling good.

Your reaching 90 is an inspiration on "can do" attitude and healthy living. I've been trying to follow that example. So, thanks for that inspiration. It is appreciated.

I love all the pictures. Some I've seen over the years. Some I can't remember seeing before. It's great to have this site where so many pictures can be shared.

Perhaps I'll have time for another birthday comment later. I just wanted to make sure I got one done before your birthday starts. Enjoy! Know that you're loved.
Love, Keith

Anonymous said...

Jo Sanders said.....
90 years and blogging!
Cheers, dear friend!
XXXOOO FROM JO

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dorothy! I think your creative spirit is fantastic, I hope your scenic western slope location inspires you every day. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ahh! From heart diet, park walks, rides, water aerobics, your trips,
"your" store, new outfits, Cathy's cancan dress no pattern, peaches,
pickles, grapes, naming art,late chats, July 4, block picnics, paint
consults..always yellow, N.M.trip, stained glass, front porch swing!
Ahh! Love, Becky & Keith

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dorothy, Watch for a special 90th Birthday card from the Colorado Potters Guild that is arriving by snailmail. We met tonight and many fine things were said about one Dorothy Steidley!!! Hope you also enjoy the CD. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Marta Rodeheffer

Anonymous said...

hey, dorothy, a friend showed me this site. happy 90th birthday!
john e
go broncos!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dorothy!!!
What a wonderful website! I am fortunate enough to have some of your beautiful artwork adorning my house. Although I've left Denver now, I cherish the memories of our friendship. Nothing compares to the warmth of your smile and passionate spirit. Much love and many hugs.......Laura Overett

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I learned a lot about firing, laughing and enjoying life with you at the potters' guild. Last week I got out my Steidley luncheon set from 1991 for dinner and I drank a little wine in your honor. Love you. Carolyn Lievers

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dorothy!!!
>
> What a wonderful site. I am so impressed to view, in one place, the focus and
> drive you have had in your life to bring more beauty into the world. I
> appreciate your style and see a consistent personality through the different
> mediums you have used. The piece in the church is so alive and vibrant. It was
> a good choice to place it in a place that would inspire worshipers.
>
> I have been slacking in my pottery goals recently in my otherwise active life
> but viewing your web site and seeing your art in one place inspires me to
> return to ceramics as a creative outlet.
>
> My life is better for seeing the art that you have created and for knowing
> you. I will look forward to seeing you at the next guild show.
>
> Much love to you and Alta,
> Bruce
_________________________________________________________________